Sunday, June 1, 2008

First Tests

First I would like to confirm that I am averaging 25 mpg in my car. I ran 230 miles with roughly half highway and half city for a combined avg of 25mpg. I will continue to monitor my mileage even before I attach the cell to my car.
This weekend I was able to hook the unit up to power on a bench at the house. The directions specify using distilled water and a teaspoon of baking soda as an electrolyte in the solution.
I filled the unit first with regular tap water to see if it would make a difference. I attached a car battery charger that has 10, 20, and 50 amp settings running at 12 volts to the unit. It is stated in the directions that it should draw 30 amps from your vehicle. Running tap water did not give good results at all. There were few to no bubble coming from the unit and the water turned brownish after just a few minutes.
Second test- I measured out the baking soda (I have read that NaOH is better, but have none) and used the recommended distilled water. The second test yielded better results. I was quite surprised to see the difference that different water and a little baking soda can do. I started with the low amperage setting of 10 and not a whole lot happened. Switching it up to the higher amps produced much more gas, but it still did not seem like much.
In this picture you can see the bubbles of gas starting to rise off the plates.

The best results were with the charger set to 50 Amps.
Here is the cell after a few minutes of running at 50. The cloudiness is small gas bubbles that rise to the top and build pressure.
This picture actually looks like it is doing pretty well, but I wasn't too pumped at what I was seeing. This unit is supposed to be putting out 1liter/minute of gas and this is not near that amount. I decide to measure by using a liter jar underwater and pumping the gas into it while measuring time. While running at 50 Amps it took 4 minutes to produce 250ml. 16minutes /liter. This is not good for water full cell standards. I have seen units from 4-16 liters/minute on Youtube.
After letting it run, I decided to see how powerful this gas actually is. I started by lighting bubbles of gas as they came to the top of my test tank. They pop like firecrackers leaving a little flame. Then I was lighting the end of my tube that hooks directly into the cell. Getting a little haphazard, I thought the check valve was there for a reason! the flame went back through the tube and turned my cell into an H bomb. The Lid and cell flew out 5 feet in the air with a shot louder than a 9mm.
This is what my lid looked like after the explosion.

Luckily it didn't explode the glass and nothing was really wrecked. I will need to check the lid later for leaks.
You would think that higher voltage and higher amperage would give best results and they are better, but the best units put off huge amounts of gas at low amperage and adjusted voltage. The trick is to optimize the signal going into the cell for best results. I will need to do alot more research to find that setting and the equipment to produce it. I will also be researching different cells, as this one has a different setup than I have seen and did not do so well in first tests.

No comments: