Sunday, June 29, 2008

Back on track

Just to let everyone know, i have be feverishly working on building a new cell. With the help of a few others, was able to pull together all the parts needed to do just that. I have some pictures and videos just in case you don't believe me. All the parts were finally compiled on saturday where I spent at least 8 hours building a new cell and modifying my old unit. The new unit is a dual 8-cell in one bath design.(16 plates total) I will not take credit for the design as the plans came off the internet, but it is a fairly simple but very effective design. The plate arrangement is two series of cells like this...
arranged beside each other. Here is the finished cell beside my old cell...
The new cell also incorporates a bubbler (tube on the side with water in it) that keeps the gas from back firing into the engine. You can see the finished cell with bubbler here..

This unit achieves great production. I must say that the electrolyte (NaOH) makes all the difference in the world. When running just under 30 Amps, this unit produces very close to a liter per minute. I could have put a little more electrolyte to inch up production, but I would rather have it running reliably than pushing the limits on my fuse and relay. I decided to put my old cell into a new container (because of my crappy lid) and see how it compared in production with the new one. With the same PVC container I achieved exactly the same results as the new cell. I can only attribute this to the faulty lid on my old unit. It was leaking so much that it could not make enough pressure to bubble under water. This bubbler would not even have worked on my old design. Being air tight is very important to get the gas where it is supposed to go into the intake. So, Although my old unit is potentially working alot better in a new case, I will be running the new Cell in my car for the week to see if I can get better results.


Here you can see the bubbler churning away.

Here it is installed in the car.



Unfortunately this means we will have to wait and see if all the hard work will actually pay off in the end. I just replaced my distributor cap which can effect my mileage readings. I will have to drive a few days without the cell on to re-establish a base mpg average and then run with the new cell to confirm any gains. The production is now there, but is the result.

No comments: